Friday, April 24, 2009

Reese- In Memory

 

 REESE
Barn Army Attack Major


2-15-1998-5-19-2009
Old Dogs Never Die, They Just Fade Away

This is how we got to know Jodi and her dog Reese, as more than an anonymous tipster, almost two years ago. Recently Reese and my Reagan the Wonder Dog have experienced much the same problems, and we've compared notes.  Here are three from yesterday.

4/23/2009 1:46 PM
Well, I was wrong…It’s a 1st.  ha ha.  Reese has a slight case of pancreatitis and due to her surgery she either has a hole in her stomach or adhesion that is blocking food/water to enter the intestines.  The pancreatitis is manageable. The vet is going to perform surgery today to see if he can fix it/clean up the stomach.  If that works he says she should do fine.  I was already to say we were going to have to put her to sleep and I had dealt with those emotions last night and now she might be fine.

4/23/2009 3:17 PM
Wrong 2 times in a day…I’m trying to set a record.  4 inches past Reese’s stomach is a fibroid tumor causing blockage.  The surgery would be very risky and very expensive and she could need chemo.  The doctor said these types of tumors do not respond to chemo, if needed.  I asked the doctor if he thought she had a 2nd surgery in her and he didn’t seem to think so.  He said he was going to check with a couple of surgeons today and let me know their opinion. So, now I’m back to sad because we will probably have to put her down.

4/23/2009 7:08 PM
 So, I guess it is the quality of life that is helping make the decision.  Besides missing her the part that makes me really sad is watching Tasha be without her.  She is lost and keeps looking for her.  I told Michael I was going to bring her into the room with us when we put Reese down.  I thought maybe she could tell she died and it would help her….I don’t know, maybe I’m putting too much into it.  I pick her up tomorrow.  I will take it one day at a time.

Since that first contact, Jodi and Reese joined the Barn Army, and she and her husband had a son who is, according to Street & Smith, being actively recruited by Alabama.  Our condolences to Jodi and family on their loss, and it is the loss of a family member in every way.  Reese will remain on active Barn Army duty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. Stay away from that "Rainbow Bridge" poem. People love to inflict that on you. Lost both my old girls this year. It's sure tough.

Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

You know, I just realized as I stared at this white box for a while, I'm not good at saying comforting things to people. But we lost a dog a little under a year ago. I find myself thinking about her, the dog I've had since I was a pup myself, and tearing up. It helps to remember our Lab, Jasmine, jumping around in the creek, bringing rocks out of it twice the size of her head.

I imagine while probably not those, you'll have lots and lots of great and funny memories to think of to make things better as time goes by. I wish you the best of luck, and really am sorry about your loss.

rickn8or said...

So sorry for your loss. Not an easy choice to make, but I think it was the right one.
(Something in my eyes.)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

UPDATE - at the last minute Reese showed signs of coming around, and was able to return home. Reese was euthanized 5-19-09. Here's a video Jodi sent.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.